Monday 10 August 2015

Festival of Quilts

Last week it was the wonderful Festival of Quilts at the NEC in Birmingham.  It's a must-see as far as I'm concerned, plus an opportunity to do some serious shopping.  I had my list all ready. 


Here it is.  A scrap with some of the light yellow I needed for a border on my Dresden Circles, some of the bright yellow for a border on Grand Illusion, and green for another border.  I saw a friend there who was telling of someone she met on the train, who had said she needed blue for a border, and said, "I have the shade in here," pointing to her head.  She must be quite exceptional if she can carry colours in her head.  I know I certainly can't, which is why I needed swatches.   
And here is the result. 


The green works well on this medallion.  Although I had quite a bit of the pink and green floral, there wasn't quite as much as I'd thought.  Never mind, some more Easy Street leftovers make suitable corners! 


The bright yellow was perfect for the border strip on the Grand Illusion.  I don't usually follow Bonnie's border instructions, but since most of it was already pieced, I went with it.  I don't think it's my favourite Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt, as it's very busy, even for Bonnie!  I'm sure it'll be better once it's quilted - once I think of a pattern to bring out the design.  


And here is the light yellow, waiting for a narrow border (blue? red? pink?) before it's attached.  
And did I buy anything else?  Not much, actually.  Four fat quarters from Hannah's Room, some Aurofil thread, and a new cutting mat.  I spent time on the Project Linus stand, and of course admiring the fabulous quilts.  A great day out. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

The medallion is lovely!!
As for the Dresden circles, I think a nice pop of red in the border might tie it all nicely together :-)

Unknown said...

Bonnie is better from a distance, it will look fine on the bed.