Saturday 29 November 2014

Waiting for thread

I can't waste my time while I'm waiting for the postman to bring me some thread to complete my 'Dear Jane' quilt, so I've started a new project!  Well, it seemed ok, as i've nearly finished one, so the UFO pile will stay the same.  The advantage of this one, is that  it's a Bonnie Hunter, using lots of blue fabric and particularly strings which might reduce the Linus blue bin slightly.  (Don't hold your breath, though. Scrap bins never seem to get emptier, even for a keen scrap quilter like me!) 


These blocks are looking great, and although they look complex, they are just a central nine patch turned on point with string triangle corners, then flying geese for the final frame!  In the top right hand block can you see the fabric with rows of numbers?  It's part of a 2005 Debbie Mumm fabric calendar which was donated to Linus.  I cut the pictures off to save for another time, then sliced the dates up and put in the neutrals box.  Perfect!  
And speaking of Bonnie hunter, I hope everyone has checked out the first instalment of her new Grand Illusion mystery quilt!  If you have never done one of Bonnie's mysteries before, I can heartily recommend them.  They are great fun, and always turn out to be stunning.  One piece of advice is that Bonnie's quilts are always huge, so I always start off making half the number of blocks she suggests, or even a quarter.  You can always add more blocks later, and you can appreciate that to make 140 half square triangles rather than 280 is a lot more appealing!  I have started by cutting up 'kits' for us to sew up at the next Linus sewing session next week. 


Here are the kits and my Blue Peter ready to go. Perhaps I'll have some time later to start cutting for myself!


No comments: